Friday, August 1, 2008

Ode To Four Years...

Four years ago today, I was sitting on my couch with David sitting next to me. He had taken me on a date the night before to Olive Garden, a restaurant we both liked. We were watching a movie - what movie, I don't remember, but I wasn't paying attention to it anyway. I was busy thinking about a question I had been asked the night before...

We were both sitting on his easy chair (the movie was on a computer, so there was no real comfortable way to do it) watching The Prince of Egypt. I'd never seen it before, but had always wanted to, so we piled onto his chair and started it up. About halfway through the movie, David leaned forward and asked me, "Will you be my girlfriend?" It caught me by surprise, just like a lot of things had that night. It was our first date, and I still wasn't quite sure how I felt about David. He was handsome, chivalrous, and smart, but I knew how big of a question it was coming from him. Was I ready to date someone? I had gotten out of a relationship only a few months before and wanted time to focus on my relationship with Christ. I had intended not to date all summer, and had actively tried to stay away from guys for the most part, but I had ran into David while running through the parking lot at Wal-mart - the last place I expected to find a guy. There was also the fact that I would be returning to school. Did I really want to get tied down in a long-distance relationship when I was at a school full of "Christian" guys? So, I told him I needed to think about it.

Fast forward to the next day sitting on the couch - I looked up at him, and had an impulse. For those of you who know me well, you know that for me, impulse = BIG trouble. But, I didn't realize that then, and thought, "Oh, what the heck. Why not?" So, I said, "David, I have an answer to the question you asked me last night." He looked at me patiently while I tried to find the words I wanted to say. After searching for the right words for a second, I suddenly blurted out, "Yes, I'll be your girlfriend." He grinned and thanked me, and kissed me...and I thought, "Oh, crap. What did I just get myself into???"

Well, four years later, I have an answer for that question too. What did I get myself into? I got myself into a marriage with a man who, although isn't perfect, is kind and tender with me. I got myself into a love that is real, and strong, and something that I can trust and depend on. I got myself into a life that is better than I ever could have dreamed - into a place of safety, security, and encouragement; a place where I can be myself while still being challenged to be a better person, where I can explore new ideas with the help of someone who will check and gently help to correct the weak spots in my dreamer side. And, I got myself into a friendship with a man that is honest, faithful, and better for me than any other man I've come into contact with.

Bottom line, I got myself into something really, really good.

No comments: