Thursday, July 31, 2008

Why I'm Glad I'm An Insomniac...

I'm an insomniac. Always have been and probably always will be. Typically, I don't mind other than the fact that I'm perpetually tired and easily irritated by stupid people (maybe that's not from the insomnia, now that I think about it...); and typically I'm more creative late at night. So, being an insomniac has its' perks sometimes.

Last night, I discovered another one of those perks. Being married, I sleep in the same bed as my husband. Yeah, I know, that's a shocker, but it's the truth. As I was sleeping in the same bed as my husband, I was woken up by a tiny little kick coming from my husband's side of the bed. I groggily opened my eyes and looked over at him with an annoyed look on my face, but it was completely wasted because he completely missed it. He was dead asleep. As I was laying there looking at him, I could feel the bed shaking slightly (don't worry, this is a G-rated story) as his legs continued to twitch.

Now, in my half-asleep thought process, I attempted to process what was going on. I remember thinking, "Oh no! Does he have Restless Leg Syndrome? That'll be a big problem!" For some reason, my brain gets dramatic when I'm half-asleep. As I lay there pondering the possibility of RLS, his head twitched and I tried to think again, asking myself if they had a RHS (Restless Head Syndrome) but the thought was cut off before it really took flight. The reason why? As I was laying there pondering these deep thoughts, I was startled by a resounding "WOOF!" from my husband. Not a "WHAA" or a "WHOO", but a definite "WOOF!" I sat up in bed and leaned over him, asking, "Sweetie, are you okay?" The only answer I got was another bout of his RHS and I lay back down silently chuckling to myself. Out of all the humerous things that I've done in my sleep, I've never barked that I know of...

See? Not sleeping well really does have it's perks. I now have blackmail on my husband.

No comments: