Thursday, July 24, 2008

Soap Operas...

It's pretty common knowledge that right now, I'm a bum. I mean, I have some responsibilities like laundry and the strenuous responsibility of doing the dishes - which actually can be a significant chore as my husband likes to cook. And when I say "likes to cook", I mean he wants to be a chef. Now, I'm not complaining - I'm pretty proud of him for all the creativity he puts into food, I'm just used to the four dishes a day that I used in college on a daily basis. I mean, sometimes I'd get creative and use a skillet, but typically I ate from the kitchens of Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice, who were kind enough to supply disposable trays for their food.

Well, as I've been a bum over the past month or so, I've started to watch more tv than I ever thought was humanly possible for me. I'm not proud of this fact, I'm just stating the truth. One of the shows that I've started watching semi-consistently is General Hospital. Maybe it's a hereditary thing - my mom apparently watched it when we were kids so that means there's just something in my blood that attracts me to the neurotic hospital crowd.

As I've watched the show over the past month, I came to realize something - soap operas are so incredibly slow!!! When I first started watching it, a guy got killed. Now, after a month and a half of watching this unfold, his dad just learned about his son's death. I mean, on the show, it's only been a weekend or so...but I mean, come on. It took this long to show a time table of three days?! Sometimes I wish that life was like that - I mean, imagine sneaking a cookie and your parents not finding out until a month and a half later...They wouldn't be mad any more - unless they thought that only three days had passed. But then there would be bigger problems at hand than sneaking a cookie.

Or, we could just not ever sneak cookies and watch our girlish figures...

2 comments:

Jaclyn said...

I totally know what you mean about soap operas! My mom is addicted to "All My Children" and I watch it occasionally with her. I can not watch it for several weeks and then watch it one day and not much has changed. My favorite thing about soap operas is that no one ever seems to have to work or exercise. They just get to hang out all the time and look perfect. If only that were real life!

Christy said...

lol Definitely the looking perfect part..